Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tidbits

Airforce Museum Outing:

Last weekend we went to the Airforce Museum. That place is amazing. We too quickly forget of the bravery that so many men and women have shown in the name of freedom. I read as many stories as I possibly could while we were in there and I was in awe and reverenced by the heroism. You must visit that place if you haven't... The outing went fairly well until the four year old meltdown started. That always complicates things.

 A Friday Morning Snuggle:
Kayla if officially the best big sister on earth. She loves her brothers. She wants to hold them every second, she comes in my room every morning wanting to wake up the babies so they can "play." During our last kid snuggle session, Kayla was doing baby talk to McKay. He rewarded her with the biggest, gummiest smile I had seen. Even bigger than he has given his mommy. I think the boys love their big sister too. The following photo makes me laugh. McKay is looking awfully concerned about his situation.... like maybe he wants me to intervene.

Utah State Fair:
Yeah, we went to the Utah State Fair yesterday. All of us.
It was brave to say the least and I resisted but finally I said I would go.
There was a particular reason I am happy I went. While walking through the pig barn, we came upon a mother sow and her newborn piglets. About half the piglets were nursing and the other half were laying nestled in to the mother's body. We humans think we are so smart don't we? Recently there has been research that shows skin to skin contact and baby wearing are beneficial to a newborn's development. Hospitals are promoting skin to skin, articles are being published, and skin to skin is getting a lot of attention in our "sophisticated" society. But yesterday I witnessed among the hay of that barn, the core of instinct. These "unintelligent" animals with no research skills, no hospital promoting, and no reading of articles, were practicing skin to skin. It makes me wonder why we don't trust our instincts more fully. We use our head, worry worry, and over-think everything. If we are to just take a deep breath and look at the perfect example of these tiny piglets and their mother, we would have all the answers. It would serve society well to trust our instincts more often.

3 comments:

Emily said...

What a daring girl! I bet it was nice to get out. I love the fair! I want to come visit you this week! I will call you and set up a time, I can't wait to see those cute little guys!

Walker Fam said...

When Samson was in the NICU the first times we held him were skin to skin. He LOVED it and it really did calm him down and seem to stimulate his brain in a positive way. It was amazing. Also, we were at the fair too- wish we could have seen you guys! I'm totally amazed you are getting out and doing things! Way to go!

Joel and Becky said...

Hannah! You guys are total super stars! I'm so impressed with all your outings!! The pictures of sibling snuggle time are Darling!!!