Monday, September 19, 2011

Tandem Nursing

(Thanks for the photo Sarah Smylie)
I went back and forth. Should I post this photo or not? I mean it is  still my body... but then again... not really... I belong mostly to these two parasites that suck every last ounce of nutrition from my body.

Nursing twins. I read about it, thought about it, knew I wanted to do it, and set my mind to the task. At first, it was so time consuming. For the first 4 weeks it took a whole hour for one feeding and after purping, changing and cuddling, it would be time to feed again. Then I began to tandem feed and my life changed forever. They finish eating in about 15 minutes and I have a few hours before they need to eat again! Feeding the twins has become one of the most enjoyable things about the day. I have a small couch in our room where I sneak off to every few hours to nourish my little guys. When Sean is home, he takes Kayla out of the room to entertain her and I can feed them in paradisaical silence. Only them and me. I can look in to those beautiful searching eyes and soak in the moment.

My best advise to moms who want to nurse their twins:
First and foremost, do not feel guilty if it doesn't work out. Just love and snuggle your babies and enjoy feeding time either way.
Secondly, if you want to breastfeed your twins, it is possible. Stick with it. It gets better.
Third, try not to over-think it. It's sorta like nursing one baby, only you make twice as much and feed twice as many babies:)

4 comments:

Carin said...

You are amazing Hannah!!! I struggle with nursing one. I cannot imagine doing two!!

Ryan Graham said...

Love it!! You truly are an amazing mom, friend and person!!! Love you!!!

LCO's said...

Such a good mommy!

Diana said...

Glad you posted! Glad you shared! What special times....