Monday, October 29, 2012

Photo Bomb n Tidbits
















Apparently a pumpkin patch is two toddler's paradise and Kayla has always loved doing things like this. Brody likes to eat dirt and McKay likes to roll in the mud. Brody really loves pumpkins too (see photo #6)We left with 5 pumpkins (a mommy pumpkin, a daddy pumpkin, a Kindergartener pumpkin, and two baby pumpkins....you get the idea) We will have a lot of carving after school tomorrow!

Kayla came home from school the other day and I asked her the usual "tell me one thing you learned in school today"
"I learned about drugs and alcohol"
"Oh that's cool, what did you learn about them"
"What are drugs and alcohol mom?"
(apparently she missed all the info that was given, only caught the title of the lecture??)
"Well, they are things that you don't want to put in your body because they are really bad for you"
"What are drugs made out of?"
"Chemicals and some types of plants"
"Mom, we are going to have to talk more about this later. Maybe you could read up on them or something so you can tell me more."
(I love a Kindergartener's interpretation of things sometimes.)

I debated on telling the following story but I decided I will:
Sean and his mom took the kids on a weekend vacation because Kayla had a break from school and I had to work all weekend. About an hour out of town McKay (one of my 15 month old twins) somehow got a hold of a fruit snack from his sister's side of the seat and tried to eat it. He started to choke. Sean recalls turning around and seeing that he wasn't breathing. Sean's mom told Sean to pull off the freeway. While he was pulling off, his mom leaped over the seat and started unbuckling him from the reclining position McKay's carseat was in. McKay was still not breathing. After unbuckling half the carseat, she pulled McKay up, turned him over and performed hard backblows between his shoulderblades (the same that is taught in infant CPR training). The fruit snack dislodged and McKay took a long desperate breath in.
When Sean came home from the trip, he still didn't want to tell me what happened so I wouldn't worry. I am so glad he did. She saved my baby's life. I am so thankful that Sean's mom acted fast and did exactly the right thing. I will forever be grateful to her.

I am really liking my job these days. It's nice to be settling in to a routine. A lot of people ask me how I am a full time nurse and mother of young twins. I have realized lately that I don't really know the answer to that question. I mean, my husband does a really great job watching the kids while I am gone. The supervisor in charge of the schedule at work is really REALLY awesome and works with my needs. I generally enjoy my job so it makes it less painful to be away from the kids. I put 100% in when I am home and love the heck out of my kids. We just make it work, ya know....for us it's all about teamwork. We have pulled together as a couple and supported each other in our goals. We have this gift of a family and we love them. It's our job to take care of them, and that's what we do.
Still not exactly sure how.

2 comments:

The Scarths said...

I love the conversation about drugs! You are for sure going to have to talk to her later again and again I would imagine! Love the pictures! Have a Great Halloween!

Melanye said...

My word, that story of your mother-in-law saving McKay brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad you are all safe! Miss you friend!