Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bringing you up to Speed

It seems as though life has been so busy lately. Not the kind of busy that is like "oh good, I got a lot done today" but the sort of busy when you are going to bed at 2 AM and you think "oh my, I didn't even have time to shower today."
It has been a good while since I have journaled here so I shall bring the record up to date. We had a fabulous Christmas. It was simple but fabulous. The kids had fun, we didn't have a lot of plans, and we were together. We welcomed "Skippy" into our home. He is from the North pole and came to make sure the kids are on Santa's nice list. We loved all the silly places he hid each day and the funny tricks he would play. Definitely added to the magic this year. 
My dad came out to visit right before Christmas too which was a blast! It was a short visit but priceless (see photos below)
Kayla had her dance recital and did great! She is in Jazz this year and loves it. Can't believe she has been dancing for 3 years!
2 days after Christmas we took our first family trip to Disneyland. Leading up to the trip is when the chaotic business started. I was working overtime every week for about a month before the trip (to fund it) and it was crazy. No matter how hard we tried to keep calm and carry on, it just seemed so chaotic. We made it though!
The trip turned out to be a blast! We surprised Kayla and she didn't know we were going to Disneyland until the morning we went. We broke the news to her in the hotel room. Epic moment. You can see the video here.
The first day in Anaheim, Sean's parents took the boys so we could have a day with Kayla by herself in the park. We had so much fun. We saw about 7 different princesses, one of which is Kayla's favorite: Merida. She is also a huge fan of Rapunzel (hence the beanie) which we were able to see too. Rapunzel even had Flynn Ryder with her too, so much fun for Kayla. She loved the rides too. Her favorite was Space Mountain and Splash Mountain but she was afraid of the Jungle Cruise (go figure). A bit of a thrill seeker are we?
Anyone who is planning to take a trip here is my Disneyland money saving advice: take food in to the park! They allow it now. We brought a whole loaf of bread and the Goober PB/Jelly mix. We also brought snacks like granola bars, bananas, a water bottle, fruit leather, ect. We only bought food once. Otherwise you can easily spend $100 on food in one day... ridiculous!
I was a huge fan of California Adventure too. Cars Land is the most impressive thing I have seen by Disney; hands down. The road you walk down resembles Radiator Springs exactly. They even have a orange cone Hotel!! (you can tell this whole thing brought out the kid in me)
After DIsneyland, we spent a few days in Newport Beach. It was absolutely beautiful. The kids played in the water for hours, we walked miles up the boardwalk, played in the sand, and soaked up the sun. I may have almost cried when the sun set on the last day we were there. I didn't want to go home, not even a little. I believe we made a priceless memory that week. Family together time is like nothing else. These little kidlets are growing far too fast. I told my dad today I want one thing in life: enough money to take a lot of vacations. I don't want to be rich, have a fancy house or a fancy car.....I just want to vacation a few times per year. It's therapeutic for us.
Since we got back, Sean started the semester, I am back to work, and we are just trying to make it in this world. 
I think I try and sugar coat things but I am going to be honest: I have been so tired lately. I think the graveyard shift takes years off your life and it sucks the marrow from your bones. It works though, for now, it works...therefore, I am going to keep on going. Luckily, I love my job and love the people I work with. And happiness in the workplace: you can't put a price-tag on that.

Okay, I am going to end this novel with a Kayla Quote:

"Mom, sometimes I think I want to grow up and be just like you. Then other times, I feel like I just want to be your daughter forever and not grow up at all"

Love that girl.
Good night. 
























2 comments:

miriam said...

hannah, i loved this. dont sugar coat things ever; that will take even more years off your life. love life and be honest about it. LOve ya han. think of you all the time.

Meghan said...

Looks like you guys had a perfect vacation! I'm with you, family vacations create very special memories you never forget. Good luck with those night shifts- you are amazing!!