Monday, November 28, 2011

Realization

Last night I went to say goodnight to Sean who was watching a military documentary online. As I walked up, I noticed that the desk was covered with a neatly set up design of dollhouse items. There was a baby in the crib, another in a bathtub, a puppy, and some random mermaids. I teased him and asked if he was having fun playing dollhouse. He smiled. We started to look at Kayla's organized items. Sean looked at me and said "do you think she'll always want to play with these toys?" I was surprised to suddenly have a large lump in my throat and feel tears well up in my eyes. We were both silent as we looked at the arrangement of items. Sean looked at me again and said "should we go look at her?" Then we went in to her room where she was sleeping. We tucked the blankets in around her. She looked so sweet and so little. I hate the thought of the inevitable; Our little girl growing out of this magical stage of imagination is painful to think about. I am just trying to relish the joy of her childhood. It will be gone before we know it.

2 comments:

miriam said...

'let's go look at her' is a tradition i hope we keep up as jade grows older. even with weary and tired eyes i try to soak in all the wonderfulness of her sleeping beauty.

Linda Kipp said...

And then she'll be 24 years old before you know it.