Friday, March 22, 2013

Lessons

Even with my slackish blogging (or just lack of blogging) our children still continue to grow, I just can't stop it as hard as I try.
It seems our world is always changing, continually taking us on adventures that surprise us. Recently, I was made a nursing supervisor at work. It's been a really good learning experience for me and created opportunities for me to grow as a nurse and a person. The responsibility of running a whole floor makes for busy shifts, which makes my days off even more enjoyable.
I consider myself so lucky and humbled to be a part of so many lives as a nurse. Recently, through some really poignant experiences, I am reminded how quickly life can change. I see people pass away in my line of work. Some elderly, who have lived long lives, others are far too young and unexpected. A good while ago, I was taking care of a young mother who was terminally ill. One evening when I walked in to find her embracing her son while he sobbed in her arms, it suddenly hit me: Why do I ever take anything for granted? This young mother may have had the opportunity to say goodbye but that is not always the case. I should hug my kids that tight, with that much pure love every day. Since that day I have not let one day pass without feeling true gratitude in my heart for living. I breathe the morning air in and think of how thankful I am for each breath. I look at every silly grin my kids make and feel thankful I am with them. I say a prayer of gratitude for my husband and what a best friend and phenomenal father he is. I am thankful for everyday, and I will never ever forget the lesson this young mother taught me.

1 comment:

Brit Basham said...

I stumbled upon your blog (fellow twin mom here) and WOW, I really needed this post. It came at the perfect time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!