Saturday, November 7, 2015

Twin Preschool Bedtime Problems



There is a post that is often viewed on this blog called How I Solved my Toddlers Insomnia. It's funny how loosely the word "Solved" is used. I feel like it's been a constant continuum of change and seems to present new challenges a long the way. Recently, we moved across the country and if nothing else will throw a wrench in the schedule, it will be that! So the twins slept in our room on the floor for about a month. I finally had it, I couldn't take it any more. So finally, I took a parenting class at the local library which was specifically geared toward preschoolers and bedtime. The teacher was fantastic and I felt ready to take on the challenge. We had a family meeting and we told the kids the rules (quite simple, stay in your bed all night). Then we made a bedtime routine in the way of three little 8X11 posters.
Poster #1 says "Three Books, one picked by each twin and mommy picks one"
Poster #2 Prayers (if prayers aren't your thing you could choose something like, tell mom 2 things that made you happy today, etc.)
Poster #3 Kisses and covers.
We taped the posters up on the wall of their room. After the kids are ready for bed with clean teeth and jammies, we start the short routine. The boys love to tell me what is next. If they ask me to read another story, I say "Oh lets look and see what the poster says." For the first few nights Brody threw a fit about wanting me to lay with him but I just kept putting him in his bed. I sat in a chair outside their room and they fell asleep without anyone laying with them! From there, each bedtime has become easier. I also start the routine at 6:30 PM and they are asleep by 7pm. This also allows me time to read Harry Potter to my 8 year old! There have been a few times they come in to our room but walking them back to their beds has been effective for that.
So bedtime has transformed from a complete nightmare to something I do not fear.

1 comment:

miriam said...

What do you mean "something I do not fear", you freaking mastered it!! I have always been a bedtime routing nazi but recently realized nighttime was a constant visit by the children. I started last night with some tactics and let's hope it keeps working as well as it did last night!