Saturday, April 2, 2011

Art Therapy



In pharmacology, we had a lecture on a treatment called "Art Therapy."
This type of therapy is often used for patients with psychiatric issues. The patient is given the materials and instructed to draw what they feel. I have seen some of these pieces. They are often dark, depicting deep concepts of their inner most feelings and issues.
Today, I sat down to do Kayla's hair. A bag of rubber bands and a brush.
Above is pictured, the finished product.
Unbeknown to me, I was creating my own piece of art therapy.
Disturbingly enough, the hair has come extremely close to the picture of my current life:
-Wild
-Crazy
-Disorganized
-Colorful
-Messier than normal
-All over the place
-A little bit rad in it's own way
Yet the little face underneath the crazy hair is the reason why I continue to do what I do. That face is my motivation to carry on each day and give it all I have, even when it feels I have no more to give.

No comments: