Friday, April 1, 2011

Mono-Di

On Wednesday, I had a 20 week maternal fetal ultrasound.
Before I knew I was pregnant with twins the term "mono-di" meant nothing to me. After reading online, I learned that mono-di means one placenta, 2 amniotic sacs and makes up about 20% of twin pregnancies. Di-di means 2 placentas, 2 amniotic sacs which makes up the majority of twin pregnancies.
Up to this point, I have always been told that mine "look" like they could be either mono-di or they could be di-di with fused placentas.
After the Perinatologist looked at the babies on the ultrasound for at least an hour, he determined they are mono-di twins (still a possibility the placentas could be fused)
Here is what I know about mono-di twins:
-They are always identical
-They are slightly higher risk than di-di
-I get a maternal fetal ultrasound every two weeks (more seeing my babies!!)
So far everything looks perfect. Babies are growing as expected, hearts look great, brains look great, and fluids look great.
I am already so in love with every bit of both these little guys. I love to feel them moving. I can't wait to hold them, kiss them, feed them, and love them even more.
It thrills me to think of two little boys that are identical with their own personalities and fire.
Be good in there brothers and share!!

5 comments:

miriam said...

ha ha ha! be good and share. that's hilarious.
hannah, they might be identical???? how freakin rad!!! hope to see you soon:)

Unknown said...

IDENTICAL!!! Oh man oh man. I am so excited to meet these little guys. The world is going to explode with cuteness from all these babies being born. Sheesh. When Finn gets his shots and Gideon is out of school (so May-ish?) I think we should come up and visit you guys. Miss ya!

Anonymous said...

Did you know that someone on facebook is using your scan photograph?

Anonymous said...

http://www.facebook.com/jonathan.kentsley

We thought this person was a fake so done a google image search of the profile picture and it lead us to your blog.

Hannah said...

Anonymous-thank you so much for notifying me of this. That is weird.